Saturday 13 April 2013

Mad Men - Season 6, Episode one and two review

I don't mind if none of you read this because this is bit of a toughie.  Some of you haven't seen the show at all, or it's still waiting on your DVR and some of you have already seen this episode. 
But I got a few things to ramble on about. 
( Minor spoiler alert though not much really happened.)
via theweek.com
Now who decided that season six was the penultimate season of Mad Men? 

I refuse to hear of it - *holding hands over ears* - blah blah blah.


As much as I hate 70's fashion, I will endure the Man Men cast in bell bottoms as long as this show goes on forever.  
I was so excited about the date of the show premier a few months ago which I wrote about in this post.



Most of us have experienced bad jet lag - I think I mentioned recently that I went through something more than jet lag.
Well for me, the first episode was like that. We have been waiting and wanting to go there - we wished to be transported back to the 60's in New York city drinking an old fashioned with Don Draper.  But I was watching and it was like tele-visual jet lag.  
It all seemed foreign and we were just not in sync.  

Beautiful face but misery guts
via facebook.com
It's like planning a holiday to the Maldives, excited for months, flying twelve hours and once you finally get to your hotel room, you are so tired but you can't fall asleep.  
You're in an unexpected funk.

Like Don is.  
Yep, he was in one of his funks again.  
I swear I would have dumped his moody ass ages ago
 if he wasn't so damn fine.

via madmen.wikia.com
Snap out of it - get Roger out of the reclining chair cuz Don needs it.  Don is still in a parallel universe talking to strays in a bar and being a witness at a beachside wedding.  He still can't sleep and talks to strangers like the inscription on that lighter.


Never has a more timely and prophetic statement been made by Don. 
 "Did I miss anything?"  
At a funeral? 
Oh Don.

Best line of the episode?

"This is my funeral. Party's over - everyone out!"  
Oh Roger.

Roger Sterling with his quirks and kinks talking to the shrink.  
He is incorrigible - he is even flirting with his therapist.  
I suppose most of us are analyzing the scene where he cries over the box of the dead shoe shine guy and not over his mother.  
That isn't such a minefield as some might think.  
I presume most of us do this in one way or another.  

Some things are so overwhelming that if we analyzed 
too deeply we might burst.  I will confess I have not yet cried 
about the Darfur crisis yet I am still upset about 
my local Lebanese deli closing down because 
where do I get my unfiltered olive oil now?  
Via esquire.com
Oh Roger.  
You really have become such a star in your own right.  
I didn't think Don would ever have competition but you now have your own orbit of fans and the memory of you peeing on 
Carrie faded two seasons ago.

Don's wife, Megan, is looking really pretty.  
via dailynews.com
But what is odd is that even after she becomes famous on the show - she still doesn't fix her teeth.  Her natural makeup is so flattering and makes her looks revived and reflecting her own renaissance as a successful actress.

Enter Joan.  Sweet Joanie is doing her photo shoot on the stairs. 

via digitalspy.co.uk
 I don't do girl crushes. 
I am not one of those trendy omnisexual beings.  
I am very hetero.  
Don't mind if you aren't; some of my best friends...  
Monica Belluci may be one of the most beautiful women in the world but I would rather have sex with Danny De Vito - no contest. And yet all I can do is scream at Mr CSW,  "Aahhh, oh my gosh, look at her boobs! Look at them!!"  
To which he listens to me for a change.

What is with the new creative team at the agency?

Took a picture of my telly.
They look like the sixties version of 30 Rock. 

 There is even a token older, chubbier Tina Fey look alike who is unmarried with no children in the fray!

My telly.
Not feeling Peggy yet.  

via digitalspy.com
She's now properly morphing into Don: professionally talented, relationship with the wrong person, ignores huge details of her life.  
Just like his old life is haunting him, it looks as if the lack of introspection and the memories might soon taunt her.

Misplaced energy is what the episode seems to be about.  

Betty is finally being a caregiver but to someone other than her daughter.  I like Betty looking like the queen with her silk headscarf.  Her new hair color was, as her vapid second husband said, very reminiscent of Elizabeth Taylor. (pre-rehab, post Richard Burton.)

But I was so disturbed by the pillow talk about the young girl next door.  I hope the hair dye burns some sense back into her skull.



via allure.com
I knew I was a real estate and home decor obsessed nut because when Betty was in that squat downtown teaching those boys how to make goulash, all I could think of was the lucky bastard who bought that house as a fixer-upper and that it would cost a fortune by now...

I will see how this goes - even if no one reads it, it may be cathartic for me to simply write it all out anyway!

40 comments:

  1. I have never watched it. Although I keep reading about the fact that Don IRL has a huge package in his trousers, and he doesn't feel the need to constrain it with underwear. That is clearly an incentive! Now all I will take away from this post is that you said you'd "rather have sex with Danny de Vito". Perve! I'll see if I can arrange it. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to watch Mad Men Sulky - and write a blog post about Don/ Jon. It's ripe for your rigourous journalistic line of enquiry.

      Delete
    2. I second Heidi's motion - actually an interview with the whole cast of Mad Men is in order Sulky! You will be a darling and give Roger my email won't you? You can have Don - kinda over him now. Oh and Monica!

      Delete
  2. Agree with you about all your insightful analysis. Peggy is a becoming a doppelganger for Don, Don is back to his womanising ways (hooray!), Betty is odd... the pillow talk was completely disturbing. And agree with you about the creative team... who were those people?! Best character at the moment is Roger. So politically incorrect. Can't believe they're going to finish it either... and wondering how the actress who plays Peggy is the main character on another series filmed in New Zealand - is she written out somehow?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I did hear about this show where she is doing love scenes in the wild or something? Must investigate further. I don't know where they are going with her - all of a sudden she is not "my Peggy". But I am sure these twists are all the writer's tricks to enrage us only to quell us later. Hopefully! xx

      Delete
  3. My daughter and I were the same re Joan's boobs they looked extra large n in charge! We were yelling at the TV! I'm amused by Betty's fat suit and how this season s suit is slimmer. I'm disappointed by Dons dalliance after the doctor skiid away. I glazed over the mysterious puzzling parts. I should rewatch it. Rogers a little annoying to me. I love Megan's tooth gap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I was not the only one not being able to stop looking at her boobs! I am thinking they are going to make Betty look hot again and make her go crazy and femme fatale. Cougar time. I will admit that it was easy to think of grocery lists at some points so I had to rewind several times.

      Funny thing about Roger is that he used to be annoying and like that little sibling or cousins but he is growing on me - his quirks and quips.

      I like Megan's tooth gap as well but it isn't very American is it - it's something the French would laud but the Americans tend to like perfect teeth so it caught my attention. But I also liked the ad meeting but it was so deep...I mean all that everyone wants to go to heaven but no one wants to die. Gee whiz!

      Delete
  4. Have I really been missing out? I've been watching too much horror films. I'm watching one now.

    If my punishment is to have sex with Danny de Vito, then I'll have to watch Mad Men.

    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to say but you really have...it is one of those shows that is quite ingrained with strong cultural inferences. It is the modern who shot jr. But lucky you to have all these seasons ahead of you! X

      Delete
  5. I STILL need to see the new season's episodes! Perhaps tonight I will?
    Isn’t That Charming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do but please make sure you take your time. It is long and your mind might drift a miss a detail - like I did!

      Delete
  6. More Gap tooth chic- model Lauren Hutton and Anna Paquin of true blood.
    Yea that Hawaii ad was odd. I really need to watch it again. I agree re Betty. She does this- gets bored relestless and acts up. I miss Peggy I hope she returns to scdp. -robyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely - I think more quirky beauty in fact! I reckon that Betty is going to seduce her daughter's first boyfriend the way she is heading...

      Delete
  7. Haven't seen it yet, you made me curious !
    http://www.melolimparfaite.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would truly enjoy it - it's equivalent to watching 15 great movies.

      Delete
  8. I've never watched Mad Men... Perhaps should I start :-)
    Have a nice sunday
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you really must! It is beautifully written, plot, characters and very poignant. I think you would enjoy it for sure xx

      Delete
  9. I ADORE Mad Men... I thought it was set in the 50's/60's?? I seem to remember my mother dressing the same way and wearing her hair in a chignon!!. Thank you for your comment on my blog this evening... but in my fiddling around in trying to transfer stuff to the new one, I seem to have deleted your comment!!!!! eeeekk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes right now I think they are in the mid to late 60's. But as it is the penultimate season I have a sneaky suspicion that they might end the season with the JFK assasination - just would be poignant timing. But I do wish the show could go on and then we would live through up until now with Saatchi and Nigella.

      No worries at all - these things happen!

      Delete
  10. I had a mad-men theme party for a new years party once. I actually like the fashion on it, even though i don't really like the show haha

    -liv
    http://chocolivlovelaugh.blogspot.kr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gasp! But I suppose the moodiness isn't for everyone - but I would love to do a theme party - know where to buy the dress but where does one buy a waist?

      Delete
  11. you are Terribly Funny.

    never watched it (as a rule - occasionally on an aeroplane) but your commentary was superb.

    we'll only read your commentary on telly from now on.

    brava, lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you - teamgloria is too kind.

      I can't blame you for not having read it considering you read so much.

      PS I am enjoying your book reviews very much so we shall do an exchange :)

      Delete
  12. I adore Mad Men too! Your commentary is so spot on I'm cracking up. Keep it up lady!!
    xx, Heather

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much Heather - I might do - i have it on my weekly record so make sure you only read next week's after you have seen it x

    ReplyDelete
  14. aaaaww nooo, I can't join in with the fun on this one as I've never watched it; I'm not sure why I haven't because it's had such general critical acclaim! But judging by the comments your review appears to be spot on - it sounds funny, but I really must stop watching so much telly, unless you really insist I get in to this?

    I had to read the sentence about Danny Devito twice!!......ahem.....xx

    http://forcailini.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh Colleen, you are normally so trendy and fashionable babes!! hehe jk. Well, next winter you must snuggle up and watch the box sets. The fashion is so well done - you would love it. And yes, I stand by that statement. DeVito over Bellucci! xx

      Delete
    2. I'm intrigued though now - so not sure I can wait till winter. I will let you know when I watch my first episode xx

      Delete
  15. I haven't seen Mad Men, but I am now obsessing over "Girls"! My mother turned me on to this show and now I am utterly addicted to this guilty pleasure!! HBO is the best!!

    (='.'=)
    Lauren at adorn la femme

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hobo and bravo! Girls. That is another post Lauren. Hypnotic annoying interesting...but you would love mad men . Give it a chance!

      Delete
  16. LOVE your recap. I feel the same..like bad jet lag. I just hope after a few days ( 1 week) Mad Men will be more enjoyable to watch. I agree about Roger. He was so annoying last season but seems to be growing in likability. Maybe he and Joanie will get together again. I sure did miss Joan and Peggy. I am tired of Don's brooding and Betty's weirdness too. Megan deserves better. I would like to see HER mess around and see how Don likes it.
    And let's get back to the office and those 1960s ads.
    I miss the English guy too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't think Don would really care. He is just morbid at the moment. When he was cheating on Megan, even I didn't care anymore. We all hit rock bottom and the pain isn't being erased. Love joanie.mwe all want her and roger together right?? The Englishman is very missed...

      Delete
  17. As an aside... (Girls is amazing. All by 20 something Lena dunham. She is a force.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know some of my friends switched off because of that one episode with the doctor playing ping pong...But I found it hypnotic. Although the end of season two did peter out a bit and just couldn't hold out. It is an odd one because for me it really is like being a voyeur at a car accident.

      Delete
  18. Men were so much more dapper then!!

    Check out todays blog, vintage skirt 99p!!!

    http://primeministeroffun.blogspot.co.uk

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Jo - They were dapper indeed!

    @Colleen - ( my reply button isn't responding )
    if you watch it - give it time ok? it kind of makes you work for it - but things like that you appreciate more!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your name of Coulda shoulda woulda Thanx for stopping by with Miss B's guest post I am a big Mad Men fan, did not watch from the beginning but rented the dvd's. I think the writer is amazing and he has a great storytelling ability. I love seeing all the vintage clothes, cars and office items. Don has so many issues but he is so easy on the eyes, I will watch until the show ends. Love the Peggy character too and interesting to see where she will end up at the end of the show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - it's a quip that I used to say to my friends so...
      No I am glad Miss b introduced a new blog to visit!
      Yes I do adore the show as well but do hope that Peggy gets out of her stuck energy she has at present!

      Delete
  21. Fantastic recap. I love hearing your point of view. Laughed out loud about the lucky purchaser of the fixer-upper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, I am terrible when analyzing homes even in fiction!

      Delete

Thank you for dropping by!